Friday, May 1, 2020

Weekly Update: Grade Calculation and Summer School


Hello, I hope everyone out there is doing well and staying healthy. I hope you have not been bothered by my lack of updates over the past couple of weeks. The fact of the matter is there simply has not been much of anything new to pass along to you. Having said that, I will try to do better and at least reach out and touch base once a week.

Two things to discuss today:

I would like to make absolutely sure that everyone is clear as to how the end of the year grades will be calculated. It will work like this: the first three report card grades (unaffected by the Covid-19 closures) will be used. For the fourth nine-weeks grade, I will use the online Edgenuity average IF it is higher than the third nine-weeks grade. If the online Edgenuity grade is lower than the third nine-weeks grade, I will count the third nine-weeks grade again (as the fourth nine-weeks grade. Here are a couple of examples that I hope will make this clear.

Student #1

1st Nine weeks grade:     76                            In this case, I would throw out the 55 and use
2nd Nine weeks grade:     80                           the 74 from the 3rd nine weeks again. I would
3rd Nine weeks grade:      74                           average these four grades and the final grade
Online Edgenuity grade:  55                           for the year would be a 76.

Student #2

1st Nine weeks grade:        70                         In this case, I would use the online/Edgenuity
2nd Nine weeks grade:       72                         grade of 75 as it is higher than the 3rd 
3rd Nine weeks grade:        65                         nine weeks average. I would then average those 
Online/Edgenuity grade:   75                           four grades and the student would finish the 
                                                                         year with a: 71.

On a different note, there is a rumor swirling about that there will be no summer school this year. I have been told there WILL be summer school. The summer session will be conducted virtually and students will have to complete online lessons in order to receive credit. The bottom line is that a program similar to Edgenuity will be used for the summer school curriculum and students will have to complete the work from home. At this time, I do not know any details regarding what students without access to technology will do. I assume that a check-out of laptops or tablets will be available similar to what was done for the current grading period, but I do not know that for sure. I just need to make sure everyone understands that there WILL be summer school for students who failed for the year AND that it WILL be conducted via an online curriculum.

I will update again next week or sooner, if something should come up. Until then, stay well.

Coach



                                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment